Family Farm

Family Farm

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Homemade Teething Cream



Right, so, “teething cream” sounds super weird.  No?  But here’s the thing.  You can buy teething gel at the store.  I’m not entirely sure how to make a gel at home with safe ingredients…nor am I sure that it’s the most effective idea.
But last week we ran out of teething tablets.  They started putting child proof caps on the Hyland’s brand stuff, but who are they kidding…both my 2.5 and 4 year olds can pop that thing off like it’s nothing.  And if they do, and we don’t catch them immediately, they eat some.  Those tablets are lactose-based and they are sweet.  The kids know they are medicine but they will tell stories to get some: “I’m sick!  I’m teething!  I NEED MEDICINE!”  We have tried to keep them up high, but they are often sitting on my nightstand since that is where I use them most (at night, for the baby).  I ask a kid during the day to go fetch a diaper, not remembering they are sitting right there…and next thing I know, they’ve eaten 2 or 3 or 5.  (No, this can’t and hasn’t made them sick.)  Anyway, the point is, the teething tablets were gone.
Even though we have an amber teething necklace, which the boys wear 24/7 (although Daniel is no longer teething, he just likes it), there are still random times when the pain is enough to make Jacob edgy and restless, which makes for a poor night’s sleep.  Teething tablets have been the perfect answer to take away whatever dull ache or slight pain that keeps him up at night.  And then we ran out.
Creative genius that I am (ha?), I thought, “What can I use at home to help him?”  Because I did not want to run to the store.  I remembered that clove essential oil is good for teething pain, and I had that.  But what to pair with it….  Several minutes of brainstorming later, and one quick search for an ingredient I haven’t used in months, and I had my answer.
Teething cream.
This formula combines coconut oil, cocoa butter, and clove essential oil for a creamy, stick-to-the-gums, totally edible and safe cream that also happens to relieve pain.  Ideally, use a high quality, edible essential oil.  Very, very little would get to the baby with any given dose though…far less than one drop.  Buy the best you can but don’t worry too much.
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c. coconut oil
  • 1/4 c. cocoa butter (food grade pure, not cocoa butter-based beauty product)
  • 12 drops clove essential oil
Directions:
Add your coconut oil and cocoa butter to a small saucepan.

Place the pan on the stove over low heat until they are just melted.  Add your clove oil and stir well.

Pour into a 4-oz. glass jar and allow to cool completely.  (You can place the jar in the fridge to speed up this process, and can even store it there so the mixture is chilled when you initially give it to the baby.)  Interestingly, if left at room temperature, it stays a liquid.  If you put it in the fridge to solidify then remove it, it becomes a very soft solid.  This was unexpected.  I’d recommend storing it in the fridge so it’s cool for baby, and less messy.

To use, take a tiny amount and massage into the baby’s gums.  This can be used on adults with toothaches, too — it’s not just for babies!  Do be aware that clove oil isn’t safe in pregnancy, though (causes contractions), so don’t use it if you’re expecting.
That’s it!  So simple!

http://www.modernalternativemama.com/blog/2012/02/27/monday-health-wellness-homemade-teething-cream/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=monday-health-wellness-homemade-teething-cream

1 comment:

  1. I cannot find an email with which to contact you, so I am posting this here.

    It is illegal to take someone else's post and copy it word-for-word, as you have done here. It is also illegal to use someone else's photographs without permission. Even when you link back to the original post.

    If you wish to share the recipe, then you need to give credit in a way that is obvious, write your own introductory information, your own directions, and use your own photographs. Please remove the copyrighted material from your site. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Followers